An independent living community is a grouping of homes designed specifically to encourage independence and community among senior adults. The ideal resident of an independent living community is someone who does not need any live-in assistance and wishes to share a community with others in the same age bracket.
Can you rent in an independent living community?
Renting in an independent living community is certainly an option. While many homes in these communities will be owned by the residents, some will have owners looking to rent it out. Additionally, some independent living communities are made up entirely of rental units.
Why or why not rent in an independent living community?
An independent living community isn’t right for every senior adult looking to rent, but it is a good option for many. Here are some of the positives and negatives of renting a home in an independent living community.
Pros of renting in an independent living community
- Plenty of socialization opportunity
- All-inclusive living â no need for maintenance or landscaping
- Safety is a primary concern of management
Cons of living in an independent living community
- Costs more than other rental units
- May be guidelines concerning visitors
- Potential for stress related to leaving long-time home
What does a home in an independent living community look like?
Homes in independent living communities can take on many forms. Some homes resemble suburban, detached homes in a shared neighborhood. Other homes in independent living communities look like standard apartments and are grouped together in a single building â like the apartments seen in the photo above at the Crossing at Waters Edge 55+ Independent Living Community Apartments in Moorhead, MN.
On the inside, homes in independent living communities are usually optimized for senior adults. This means features like wheelchair accessibility, extra-loud or visual doorbells, and handrails in the bathroom are usually included.
- How to Select a Senior Friendly Apartment
- 7 Senior Living Technology Pieces Your Parents Need for Their Home
- The 10 Best Cities for Seniors in the U.S.
- What Seniors Should Look for While Apartment Hunting
- Apartment Safety and Convenience Items for Senior Living
The post What is an Independent Living Community? appeared first on Apartment Living Tips – Apartment Tips from ApartmentGuide.com.